Regio UE GR MDRAP focsani fonduri-ue

”Sfantul Nicolae Nou” Church (“St. Nicolas The New”)


Location: Popa Șapcă Street, no. 7
Located on the border of Focsani on the previous domains of Focsani fair (“they donated to the monastery the place they had in Focsani ... up to the water of Milcov”), the church “Sf. Nicoale Nou” was founded by royal governors.
The place of worship falls under the category of wall-type of churches of the 18th century. Also, according to the documents of Diocese of Buzau, the building in question was originally a monastery. The document, dated 7204 (1694) June, the 21st, stipulated: “The notation of Mary, The priestess, by which she sells to the priest from the Holy Monastery of Focsani a land for a house, where it was located the house of “Gîndac Țiganul”, across from the land of priest Filofteia in the fair of Focsani, in length 18 “stînjeni” and wide towards Tinchei house of 6 “stînjeni ” whose domain is on the side of “Obilesti” and that “of Focsani”.
Through several church documents, D.F.Caian emphasized that the existence of the monastery preceded the year 1969 and that at the basis, the place was a wooden construction founded by priest Arsenie and Ianie between 1680- 1690.
This document dated 7240 (1732) June 9th, also noted the burning of the church, for which in the same year it had been rebuilt by brick walls, thick porch by Constantin Năsturel, cupbearer.
The painting of the building was performed in 1746, its founders being depicted on the southern wall with the inscription “Antim Episcopul Buzăului, jupân Constantin, Io Nicolae Voievod”.
The extension of the church has been achieved through several donations of land from various donors, including: Captain Hangescu (he donates to land for the parish house) and Captain Murguleț (he donates the big bell )
In 1819, the church “Sf. Nicolae cel Nou” was considered one of the most well preserved parishes in accordance with the entries found in the Cartography of Diocese of Buzau, being one of the richest “with 22 places and shops”.
Structurally “the church was built on a three-cone shaped plan with polygonal apses, preceded on the west side by the porch. On the north wall of the narthex the bell tower is leaned outside the place of worship, accessed from the narthex. The spire at the top is hexagonal and has a separate roof in the form of a pyramid helmet. The porch, originally opened, presents masonry pillars that support semi-circular arches at the top. The rooms are covered with spherical semi-domes. The access between the narthex and the nave is made under two semi-circular arches, one of them trilobite, supported by columns of circular pin surmounted on pyramidal bases made of masonry. The art of the facades shows a belt of two rows of bricks laying on the corner, separated by a strongly raised torus, placed above the windows. Frames with vegetal motifs carved in stone and raised rods fit windows.” (National Cultural Heritage built in Vrancea County – Museum of Vrancea).