Regio UE GR MDRAP focsani fonduri-ue



Positioned on the border between the two Romanian countries and neighboring the border outpost no. 45, the current building represented a construction undertaken in the second half of the 18th century, originally being an inn because of its location.
Because of the advantageous positioning, the building itself served as a customs location, all correspondence and connecting routes between the two regions passing through this point.
Unifying the city of Focsani and the two Romanian principalities, brought with them a shift to the utility of the building; the old customs office being converted into a hotel (Hotel “Cimbru” (engl. “Thyme”). Among the guests who have crossed its threshold, there were, between 1859-1862, 16 members of the Central Committee (Mihail Kogălniceanu, Vasile Melinescu, Nicolae Golescu, Nicolae Șuțu etc.). In 1931, on the anniversary of 40 years of activity, the Cultural League Congress, along with historian Nicolae Iorga placed a plaque on the facade of the building with the inscription “Here it was the first milestone destroyed for national unity.”
In 1912 the building came into the possession of the Romanian Post, Branch of Focșani until 1973, when the Post is placed into a new building. Since 1982 the building passes into the possession of the County Museum, which is introduces the edifice, starting with 2006, into a restoration programme financed by PHARE. The rehabilitation project is successfully completed in 2008, forming the Museum of Union in Focșani, inaugurated on January the 24th, 2008 in the presence of the President of Romania.
Representing a true proof of the unionist spirit, The Museum of the Union in Focșani hosts in its interior a rich cultural heritage, both movable and documentary of the age related to the Union of the Romanian Principalities; the building itself is a symbol of gratitude brought to the little fair on Milcov for all the hard work undertaken by elites of the age.
In fact, the first Museum of the Union began its operations in 1966, through a photo-documentary exhibition, at which were exposed a number of heritage items donated by Iași, Galați and Ploiești. The exhibition itself was a major cultural event, for which, its presence had enjoyed a special resonance in the press. Despite the strong political tone imposed by the communist regime, the exhibition managed to revive within the local spirit that princely pride of the significance the town of Focșani had in the unification process; for which within the article in question, the so-called “bourgeois” personalities (like Mihail Kogălniceanu) have not been slandered anymore, thus being viewed through the commendable actions undertaken.
Subsequently, the exhibition location has known various locations, The Museum of the Union finally finding its rightful place (The Old Customs Office) in early 2000, at which time the Local Council decided jointly to rehabilitate the customs building.
The cultural heritage presented today by the museum halls is divided chronologically, each exhibition trying to capture the essence of the period portrayed. Therefore, starting with the entrance into the museum, we have exposed a lot of documentary, publicist, museum-related evidence illustrating the Revolution of 1848, a significant moment in the promotion of pro-union feelings. This means that the exhibits concerned highlight the ardor and hope of those authors which cherished the unification of the Romanian people everywhere in a single national state.
Following the chronological sequence of the evolution of ideas, the exhibition focuses its attention on the Unionist Committees in terms of publications, photographs and objects (dated between 1856-1859); through them trying to convey the atmosphere of Ad-hoc Assembly Elections, meetings and issues discussed, especially the main theme, namely that of the Union.
Benefiting from a personal exhibition, we have framed in the series of events the renowned personality of the Deputy of Putna, “Moș Ion Roată”, bearing on himself the eloquent example of the presence of the rural voice within the judgments debated.
Next, the exhibition focuses on two leading figures of the period, Mihail Kogălniceanu and Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza. To meet the most striking figures of the era, the museum presents a multitude of documents, publications and personal items, along with paintings and lithographs of the concerned era.
Through all the museum exhibits rendered, the museum attracts the visitor into the reality of the years 1859-1862, the peak of the Central Commission’s works, the general enthusiasm, especially the cultural and ideological effervescence that placed the young Romanian state on the path of modernity.

Opening times of the museums

TUESDAY - SUNDAY: 09:00 to 4:00 p.m.
Rates Visitors: 1 leu/person for students or groups
4 lei/person for adults